Founded in 1920, the nonprofit Virginia Mason Health System includes a 336-bed acute-care hospital that is consistently ranked among the best and safest hospitals in the United States; eight regional medical centers in the Puget Sound area; Bailey-Boushay House, the first skilled-nursing and outpatient chronic care management program in the U.S. designed and built specifically to meet the needs of people with HIV/AIDS; and Benaroya Research Institute, which is internationally recognized for its breakthrough autoimmune disease research.
Besides Virginia Mason Memorial, Virginia Mason also has partnerships in Central Washington with Kittitas Valley Healthcare in Ellensburg and Confluence Health in Wenatchee for providing or supporting specific services. Using the Virginia Mason Production System management methodology, Virginia Mason is an international leader in applying lean manufacturing principles to health care delivery to eliminate waste, lower cost, and improve quality and patient safety. Virginia Mason has about 6,000 employees. Learn more at virginiamason.org »
Virginia Mason Health System: Quick Facts
Where did the name "Virginia Mason" come from? (From VM's website) The name has its genesis in two young girls-both named Virginia Mason. One of the founders, Dr. Tate Mason, had a daughter named Virginia. His partner, Dr. John Blackford, also had a daughter named Virginia Mason Blackford. And if that weren't enough, both physicians graduated from the University of Virginia. Virginia Mason Health System is a nonprofit organization offering a system of integrated health services, including the following:
Number of employees: 6,000
Number of primary and specialty care physicians: 470
Chief Executive Officer: Gary Kaplan, MD
Mission and Vision:
Mission: To improve the health and well-being of the patients we serve
Vision: To be the quality leader and transform healthcare
2015 Patient Care Volume:
- 857,925 physician visits
- 15,436 inpatient hospital admissions
- 16,663 surgical procedures
Recognition and Awards:
- 2016, Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence from Healthgrades. Virginia Mason is the only hospital in Washington state to receive the award six consecutive years (2011-2016).
- 2015, "America's 100 Best" hospitals by Healthgrades
- 2014, "Top Hospital" by The Leapfrog Group for work in improvements in healthcare transparency, safety, quality and affordability
- 2010, "Top Hospital of the Decade" by The Leapfrog Group; only hospital to be named a "Top Hospital" every year since 2006
- Using the Virginia Mason Production System as its management methodology, Virginia Mason has earned an international reputation for quality, safety, innovation and controlling cost.
To learn more, visit the Virginia Mason Health System website.